River Cruise - Canal d'Ille et Rance
Canal d'Ille et Rance
Type : Canal. The canal was inaugurated in 1842 and passes through green pastureland and woodlands. The towpaths are kept in good condition and the lock gardens are particularly pretty.
Locks : 48 locks in 84.8 km.
Along the way
- 0.2 km - Rennes - City with quays 0.5 km from town centre. Excellent shopping and restaurants. Much of the medieval city was destroyed in a fire in 1720 but some ancient buildings remain. The wide boulevards make Rennes a pleasant city to walk in. Sights of note include the former houses of Parliament, the Thabour gardens and the Museum of Breton life.
- 5.6 km - Saint-Gregoire – Village 0.3 km from a quay with some services. Good shops, restaurants.
- 13.7 km - Betton – Village with moorings. Modern village with good shopping.
- 17.8 km - Chevaigné – bridge with village 0.8 km on the left bank.
- 24.0 km - Saint-Germaine-sur-Ille – Quay with village 0.7 km on the left bank.
- 27.4 km - Saint-Médard-sur-Ille – Pontoon moorings with village 0.3 km on the left bank. Some shops, a restaurant and a garage.
- 42.8 km - Hédé – Quay with some services. Small town 1.2 km on the left bank. There is an unusual 19th century Gothic château on the outskirts of the town. The town is quiet and features a Romanesque church, a canal museum and a ruined 11th century château with splendid views over the plain.
- 47.2 km - Tinténiac – Quay with water and electricity. Small town on the left bank with good shopping and restaurants. There are a number of beautiful châteaux in the surrounding countryside include Combourg, Montmuran and Caradeuc.
- 53.3 km - La Chapelle-aux-Filtzméens – Bridge and Quay. Village 1.2 km on right bank.
- 57.3 km - Saint-Domineuc – Quay with some services. Village 0.7 km on the left bank. Shops, restaurant and a garage.
- 61.7 km - Trévérien – Village with quay. There is some shopping.The village church sits on the canal-side.
- 62.4 km - Des Islots – Lock 41. Ruined castellated stone building built in 1641 on the bank.
- 66.3 km - Évran – Village with quay. The spired church is the main landmark in this village. The shopping here is quite good and Château de Beaumanoir is only 1.5km to the north.
- 74.1 km - Pont Perrin – Lock. Look out for a château with towers peeping through the trees.
- 76.3 km - Léhon – Village with quay. Access to the partially ruined 12th century St. Magloire priory is along the tow path.
- 78.6 km - Dinan – Town with boat harbour. Dinan is a charming tourist town. The port area is lined with old buildings, a few shops and restaurants. The main town is set high on the cliff overlooking the port and is a well preserved medieval fortified town.
- 82.4 km - Taden – Quay with village 0.7 km.
- 83.4 km - Le Chatelier – Quay.
- 84.2 km - Lyvet – Quay with village 2.5 km.
- 84.8 km - Tide lock number 48. End of canal navigation and beginning of the Rance Maritime. Access by road to the fortified coastal town of Saint Malo.