River Cruise - Canal du Rhône à Sète
Canal du Rhône à Sète
Type : Canal which borders the Camargue and lies very close to the Mediterranean. Sea for much of its length. It is noted for its wildlife, marshland scenery and étangs or ponds.
Locks : 1 lock in 98 km
Along the way
- 0.6 km - Beaucaire – Rental Base - Town with basin and boat harbour. The town has narrow old streets are pleasant and there are castle ruins and the Triangle Tower offers a fine view over the Rhône. Tarascon with its fine Medieval château is not far.
- 13.2 km - Bellegarde – Rental Base - Village 1.2 km on the right bank. Pont d’Arles boat harbour and restaurant.
- 24.2 km - Saint-Gilles – Small town with berths. Good selection of restaurants
- 29.0 km - Junction with Canal de Saint-Gilles.
- 39.2 km - Gallican – Village 0.4 km from boat harbour. Some shops, a wine cellar and restaurant.
- 50.8 km - Aigues-Mortes – Fortified , Medieval town.
- 51.0 km - Junction from Canal Maritime.
- 61.7 km - La Grande-Motte – Mooring on the left bank. A modern resort 1.5km.
- 70.7 km - Carnon – Seaside resort 1 km.
- 75.2 km - Junction with Canal Lez with access to Palavas-les-Flots; a pleasant resort town.
- 78.6 km - Maguelonne ruined abbey and settlement on the left bank.
- 86.6 km - Les-Aresquiers – Bridge with moorings. Access to a beach 0.4 km.
- 92.2 km - Frontignan – Town with boat harbour. Vertical lift bridge which is opened 3 times a day. While waiting there are good shops and restaurants, a 14th century Gothic church. The local beach or plage is only 3 km distant.
- 98.0 km - Étang de Thau and the town of Sète.