River Cruise - River Vilaine
Type : Canalised river. The river flows through open meadowland, wooded cliffs and features many picturesque old stone mills.
Locks : 12 locks in 52 km
Along the way
- 0.0 km - Rennes – City with quays 0.5 km from town centre. Excellent shopping and restaurants. Much of the medieval city was destroyed in a fire in 1720 but some ancient buildings remain. The wide boulevardes make Rennes a pleasant city to walk in. Sights of note include the former houses of Parliament, the Thabour gardens and the Museum of Breton life.
- 0.1 km - Junction with the Canal Îlle et Rance.
- 1.0 km - Confluence of Îlle on right bank.
- 14.0 km - Bruz – Village 2 km on the left bank.
- 18.0 km - Pont-Réan – Village with quays. Some shops and a waterside restauant.
- 20.3 km - Confluence of Seiche.
- 21.0 km - Scenic section through slate cliffs, rocky islands and a picturesque water mill. This area has been designated the Parc Naturel de Boël.
- 23.7 km - Laillé – Boat moorings with village 2.5 km on the left bank. Close by is the Château deBagatz.
- 26.8 km - Le Bouëxière – A stone mill house and restaurant.
- 28.5 km - Bourgs-des-Comptes – Glanret bridge with quay. Village 1.8 km on the left bank with shops and restaurant.
- 30.2 km - La Courbe – Small pretty village with a small restaurant.
- Scenic area with several châteaux and converted water mills.
- 35.3 km - Pléchatel – Village 1 km on the left bank. Rowing and pedal boats can be hired by the bridge.
- 47.0 km - Messac Boat harbour and restaurant.
- 47.4 km - Messac – Village on the left bank.
- 48.0 km - Guipry – Quay with village 1.5 km on the right bank. Good shops and supermarket.
- Scenic area follows. Dense woodland (Bois de Boeuvres and Bois de Baron) and rocky cliffs.
- 62.2 km - Port de Roche – Small village with quay.
- 66.4 km - Confluence of Chère
- 69.3 km - Beslé – Quay with village 0.5 km on the left bank. Hotel, restaurant and some shops
- 71.3 km - Brain-sur-Vilaine – Quay and village on the right bank.
- 76.5 km - Lac de Murin – Lake beyond the left bank of the river.
- 79.3 km - Painfaut – Small village 0.3 km on the right bank.
- 89.1 km - Redon - Town with quays. The 17th century ship-wrights’ houses overlook the many waterways and contribute to the name “Little Venice”. The church of St. Saveur is well worth a visit and musical events are held here regularly.
- 89.2 km - Crossing with Canal de Nantes a Brest.
- 89.7 km - Redon basin
- 90.9 km - Confluence of Oust.
- 96.1 km - Junction with the Canal de Nantes a Brest.
- 96.7 km - Rieux quay.
- 101.8 km - Cran – Pontoon moorings, restaurant.
- 114.9 km - Foleux – Boat harbour.
- 122.6 km - La Roche-Bernard harbour – Moorings and boatyard. Village 0.5 km on left bank.