River Cruise Itineraries for Chatillion sur Loire
Itineraries for Chatillion sur Loire
Chatillon sur Loire -> Migennes
Two Week One Way Trip
Cruise to Moneteau which is a lovely flower filled village divided by the river and there are some quiet moorings on the east side, downstream of the bridge. There are also a few shops and a post office and a fabulous fish restaurant well worth a visit. Head to Bailly where you will findunderground quarries that once provided the stone for the construction of Paris and are now occupied by a wine cooperative. Guided tours of the wine cellars and wine tasting are available.
At Chatel Censoir there are some lovely walks to take advantage of here, particularly starting at the church of Saint Potentien on the top of the hill overlooking the town. Clamecy is a pleasant town surrounded by woodland and with excellent shopping and many restaurants. The best moorings are close to the lock and in the centre of town you will find a tourist information centre.
Surrounded by vineyards, Tannay sits on a hill overlooking the Yonne. Sample a taste of the infamous dry white wine in one of the cellars. Further on at Montceaux le Comte you can see the ruins of a 13th century chateau nearby and the ancient Reconfort abbey is also worth a visit.
Visit the oldest china factory in France at Nevers and take a look round the exhibition room to see items produced over the past 350 years. Get on your bike and visit Sancerre for a splendid view of the valley. A collection of paintings by Messemin and Rameau are kept in the restored convent at Cosne-Cours-sur-Loire.
Places of interest in Châtillon sur Loire include:
- Protestant cemetery
- Protestant church
- Gaillard castle (12th century)
- House N°6 rue Gelée (Renaissance)
- Wine Growers'houses (16th-17th centuries)
- Saint Posen water spring
- Tower with half-timbered sections "rue haute"
- House N°4 "rue des Prés" (Italian Renaissance)
- Restored wash-house (late 19th century)
- House n°14, Rue du Cimetière
- Renaissance Mansion at N°45, Grande Rue
- Public gardens with adventure playground and picnic area.
- Fishing in the Loire, in the canals and the basin of Mantelot.
- Details of the historical walk of the town and several other marked walks are available from the tourist office.
- Natural Protection Area of l'Ile à Gaston - Booklet on the flora and fauna available from the tourist office.