River Cruise Le Somail, Midi-Camargue
A map is available - click the thumbnail below to access a larger version.
- Estivale Models
- Grand Confort Models
- 1350 VIP
- Sedan Models
- Riviera Models
2 DAY WEEK-END
- Le Somail / Fonsérannes (Béziers) : 82 km, 14 locks
- Tourist Attractions - Argeliers : XIIth castle classified historical monument; market on Tuesday and Friday mornings. Capestang : XVth collegiale church and castle, wine cellar, market on Wednesda and Sunday morning. Colombiers : cellars; Malpas tunnel and Ensérune Oppidum. Fonsérannes : beautiful scale of 7 locks. Béziers : churches, cathedral, museums and arenas (férias).
- Le Somail / Agde : 132 km, 24 locks
- Le Somail / Trèbes : 96 km, 42 locks
- Tourist Attractions - Portiragnes : bathing place at 3 km. Agde : one of the oldest town in France. Ventenac castle. Paraza ant its canal bridge. Homps : XIIth romanesque chapel, crusaders tower. Minerve : caves, archeological museum. Puichéric : medieval village. Trèbes : close to Carcassonne; Cathare castles.
- Le Somail / Narbonne / Agde : 166 km, 48 locks
- Le Somail / Narbonne / Trèbes : 130 km, 66 locks
- Tourist Attractions - Sallèles : ancient roman pottery (museum, exhibitions). Narbonne : Roman city and medieval monuments.
The Canal du Midi was classed as a Unesco World Heritage site due to its importance in canal history, the beauty of the canal and the fine locks, aqueducts and canal buildings. Though discussions on a canal link between the Atlantic and Mediterranean began with Charlamagne in the 8th century, and continued through the centuries (including consultation with Leonardo da Vinci) no actual construction began until 1666. Anyone interested in the canals history may like to visit the Château de Bonrepos and park; the home of Pierre Paul Riquet, the designer of the canal. This is located in the village of Verfeil, just outside Toulouse.
For more information on the Canal du Midi and the towns and tourist attractions along the way.
Motorway : A61 and A9. At 850 km from Paris. TGV : Toulouse, Béziers and Narbonne(coming from Paris via Montpellier). Airports : Toulouse, Carcassonne, Béziers, Montpellier